Sunday, September 13, 2009

God, Family, and Country

This last week I had to complete a survey at work about the factors that influence me to either stay in or get out of the Air Force. Most of the questions were the "to-what-extent-do-you-agree-or-disagree-with-the-following-statement" type of questions, but one of the questions asked me to fill in my own comments:

"Please provide any comments you may have pertaining to what influences your career decision."

As I thought about my response to that question, it really just hit me. This is my response:

"The single biggest drawback to my Air Force service is the time I have to spend away from my family. My priorities in life are (in this order) my God, my family, and my country. Being away from family for my country is a sacrifice and a burden. That being said, I understand the need, and I understand that someone has to do it. My family understands, too. Were it not for a supportive family, I would not stay in the Air Force. I feel, however, that those times when I am away from my family, I am serving not only my country, but I am also serving my family and my God. Because of that conviction, I choose to remain in the Air Force, despite having to leave my family from time to time. This period of my life will not last forever; I hope to be able make a difference while I can."

5 comments:

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

Beautifully written! Our hearts are full of gratitude for your service, and we admire the strength and courage of your family.

Becky Jo said...

Amen, Brother. Thanks for the perspective. We know how you feel and are grateful for what you do too. Love you guys!

David said...

Thanks, Brother. You're my hero.

Stephanie said...

Great response! :)

David said...

Although I have no blood brothers, I'll be eternally grateful to have you as a spiritual brother. God speed.