Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why I Serve

Exactly seven years ago today, as I was getting ready for work, I received a phone call from a friend: "Have you seen what is on the news?" I turned on the TV and was shocked at what I was seeing. How could that happen in our great nation? What would it mean for my family's future? What could I do to help ensure that the freedom I so highly cherished would endure for my children and their children?

I went to work that morning with a renewed resolve to do my very best at my chosen profession. September 11, 2001 marked almost one year to the day since I had first raised my arm and taken a solemn oath to "protect and defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." On that day when America changed forever, I resolved that I would do what I could to ensure that such a thing will never happen again, and that my children's future will be bright.

Serving in the military is not always easy. It has required great sacrifice of me. If those sacrifices only impacted me, I would hardly think of the cost, but my family has had to pay even higher sacrifices for my choice to defend this great nation. My children have spent many nights not knowing where I was, other than that "Daddy is in the desert, and God is protecting him." My wife has had to comfort their fears for my safety, all the while depending upon that God to bring me home safe. The joy of each reunion when I would return safely to my family has always been tempered by the knowledge that the next deployment was just around the corner. No, serving in the military has not been easy.

So why, then, do I serve? The word "serve" is the key. I do not do it for myself, but for others. Of highest concern to me is my own family. I serve so that my wife and my children will be free. But my concern extends far beyond my own immediate family. I serve to ensure that my fellow countrymen may enjoy their God-given rights to liberty. I serve that liberty might be brought to the oppressed in nations other than my own. I serve for others. I serve for liberty.

Military service is a sacrifice, but it is a sacrifice in its truest and purest sense: a holy offering. It requires giving up my own comforts and conveniences in order to preserve something of infinitely greater worth: freedom. There are those in this world who would take that freedom from us; it has been so from before the beginning of time. Despite the opposition, there are those who, like me, have answered the call to defend that supernal gift which God has granted us. Our service is given as an offering to our God.

I do not serve for the glory of the world. I do not serve in order to receive any thanks. There are many people who oppose what I do, yet I serve to preserve their freedom to hate me just as I serve to preserve another's freedom to be grateful. The only glory I seek through my service is the glory that can only truly be found in a free society: glory given to God without fear of reprisal from oppressive outside influences.

Thomas Jefferson said that it is a self-evident truth that God has endowed us with the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. God has endowed us with those freedoms, but there are those who are trying with all their might to deny us what God has given us. That threat has always existed, and will continue to exist. What would my life be without that freedom? And so, I have answered my nation's call, and I am proud to wear the uniform of the United States of America.

This is why I serve.

6 comments:

David said...

Well said, Brother. You have always been, and remain, a great example to me. To you, and to all who serve in our Nation's Armed Services, I say "Thank You." I know that my thanks is insufficient, but every time I put my hand over my heart, I pledge to protect and defend, in word and in deed, those who, like you, protect and defend our nation.
Just as you said, there have always been those who want to take our freedom from us. Unfortunately, many of them live among us as fellow citizens, who take away others' freedoms and give away their own without so much as a thought to the consequences. The ideologies that insist on a forfeiture of freedom (whether it be in the name of Allah or in the name of Big Brother) must be opposed at all times and in all places. Here's to fighting the good fight for the ones who matter most!

I love you, Brother.

Ben Davis said...

Jay. Amen, Brother. Thanks for reminding us of the sacred duty that is ours to give the gift of freedom and preserve the luxuries that we so often take for granted. A most inspiring post! Cheers!

Johnson-n-Johnson said...

Bawling. Yes, just sitting here at the computer bawling. When I joined the family, the American flag took on a whole new meaning. I feel a sense of reverence for you and Brett and your families. I feel the Spirit testify to me that this is a great nation.

Everytime I see someone dressed in their uniform, I stop them and thank them for their service.
They all say thesame thing--"no thank, you."

We love you guys!We love you so much!

Diva Ma @ Mommy Fabulous said...

Very well put. Thanks to you, my husband and all the couragous men and women that serve for my freedom, my liberty. It's not easy by far. For you or for the family. But one great perk is that those kids will look up to you in knowing that their father has sacrificed so much for so many.

Staci said...

Jay, you are a very good writer! You said it all.. Thank you for your service.. and Thank you even more to your wonderful wife and children!

Uzi said...

Jay, you amaze me! Always have and always will!

Kristy :)