Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you...?

Has it really been seven years? I'll admit, it has been a pretty emotional morning for me. I've been listening to music that touches my heart to the core, looking at pictures that are still so familiar, and remembering. I remember it like it was yesterday. We were living in Monterey, California. I still feel the heartache from it as I did that day.

So many people killed, so many families' lives devastated. My heart poured out to them. I wanted to do something, anything, but what was there to do? I felt helpless. My heart ached, as it aches right now, as I remember.

I remember candles being lit across the nation. We were no exception. We gathered with neighbors to light candles, we sang heartfelt songs to God, we prayed with all the energy of our soul for our great nation, the people of it, and especially those whose lives were so directly impacted by this great tragedy. I remember the unity of our nation, the flags in every yard and on every car. Everyone doing what they could to help their neighbor, just because of the love we felt for each other. The pain that we all shared in, affected us in marvelous ways. We reached out to others more. We couldn't see anyone suffering without giving a helping hand in any way that we could.

Isn't this how God wants us to treat each other? Does it always take pain, heartache, and suffering for us to remember that we are all children of a loving God? A loving God that founded this great nation and has blessed and prospered it ever since. Our founding fathers were truly inspired by God. They knew that, and I know that. We have been so blessed because we are a nation under God. Seven years ago this great nation under God was attacked. In this, at least, or finally, political parties were united. We truly were a united nation. This would not ever happen again. Sacrifices were made. Men and women went to fight for us, for our families and our futures.

How grateful I am for these sacrifices that are still being made to keep my family and this great nation safe. Sacrifices that are not unfamiliar to me. Sacrifices that affected my family directly. My husband has gone to fight in this war, on multiple occasions. I know what it is like to try and struggle as a single mom, trying to make things work while he was gone. Trying to comfort children while you feel like your own heart is breaking. Not knowing how you are going to survive another day. The list could go on and on. I know that there are many who have it so much harder than I. I know that many have made the ultimate sacrifice. I just want to say how much I appreciate the men and women, and the families of the men and women, who serve, and sacrifice, to keep our country safe. Who serve to make sure that the future will be bright for our children, as so many have done before us.

My heart goes out to those families who are separated at this time. To those single moms and dads, many who are temporary, and many who are not, my heart pours out to you. May God watch over and protect you and your loved ones. May He pour blessings out upon you. May you know that these sacrifices are not made in vain. They are needed. They are appreciated. Thank you, all of you, for what you do!

God bless this great nation, America!!!

1 comment:

David said...

Sherrie,
Behind every great American Hero like Jay is an even greater unsung Heroine like you. A Heroine who stays behind and does the most important job while her husband is out doing the most pressing job. We wouldn't have a society worth protecting if we didn't have mothers like you who raise wonderful children and teach them to be good citizens in the community and good disciples of the Savior.
So thanks for your sacrifice and silent suffering, for your dedication and devotion.
You're my hero!