Thursday, July 3, 2008

We Love You, Charlie!

Our cute little bunny, Charlie, died tonight. It's been a pretty emotional night in our house. Charlie was only about 9 weeks old. We don't know why he died. He was acting normal until around bed time, when he suddenly started hopping around his cage very erratically--almost flopping-like. Then he started making little screaming noises. Sherrie took him out and held him close. He was paralyzed from the hips up; all he could move were his hind legs. He was breathing very rapidly and drooling. Then his eyes started to glaze over. Sherrie went to ask the neighbor across the street to watch the kids so we could take Charlie to the animal hospital, and he died in her arms.

We had a funeral for Charlie tonight and buried him in the back yard. The kids were very upset. Matthew and Ethan don't really understand, but Mikayla and Jayden took it very hard. We talked a lot about death and resurrection. By the end of the evening, the kids, while still missing Charlie, seemed to be doing pretty well.

Charlie was a really cute bunny, and we all loved him. He'll be missed around here. We're especially going to miss seeing Ethan playing and cuddling with his "Char-Char".


Ethan and "Char-Char"

We love you, Charlie!

3 comments:

David said...

I gotta share...I started playing your video and THEN I turned on the volume. I forgot you always have music playing. So when I turned the volume up I thought you were making a musical montage...asking Ethan where Char-Char was. My emotions were being pulled in all directions! Part of me thought, "How could you be asking your child where Char-Char is when you know he is dead?!? And then I saw what I thought was a bunny in the cage and I was hoping Ethan wouldn't try to pick up a dead bunny. And part of me thought, "That's nice music." Then I realized what was going on and I paused the music. Whew!

So sorry for your loss. I hope everyone can enjoy the 4th of July today!!!

Jay and Sherrie said...

Too funny! Guess we should have specified that the video was made when Charlie was still alive! Looking at it now it does seem like "Hey! Are they tormenting their kids by keeping a dead bunny in the cage and asking the kids where the bunny went?!?" :)

Correa Family said...

Sorry to hear about your poor bunny. I hope your kids are doing okay. Are you going to get another pet?